Avinashi Lingeswarar Temple Avinashi - History, Timings, Festivals & Address!

Avinashi Lingeswarar Temple Avinashi


Avinashi Lingeswarar Temple Avinashi

The Avinashi temple is believed to be the first among the seven shivastalams of Kongunadu. It is also known as the Karunaiyaathaal temple. The temple's construction is connected to a legend based on Sundaramurthi Nayanar. The 'Moovendargal' Cheras, Cholas and Pandyas have made huge bequest to this Temple.

Avinashi is part of the ancient Kongunadu which now comprises the districts of Coimbatore, Salam, Dharmapuri, Karur and Palani. This Place of Great historical importance was known as Thirupukkaliyur in the ancient times. Avinashi temple is located on the Chennai Cochin NH47 highways.

The Tamil saying goes – Kasiyil Vasi Avinashi meaning that what the devotee derives by worshipping in Kasi-Varanasi, he/she derives half of the benefits by worshipping Avinashilingeswara in Avinashi. Lord Avinashi Appar, Lord Bhairava and the holy water-Theertham- are brought from Kasi. Bathing in the Kasi well in the temple on new moon day-Amavasya brings manifold benefits to the devotee. There will be no interval closing of the temple on new moon days.

Vinasam in Sanskrit or Tamil means perishable. Avinashi means imperishable.

Avinashi Lingeswarar Temple Avinashi Facts

A 'deepasthambam' can be observed in front of the temple. A special fact about the deepasthambam is that it is shaped out of a single stone. Towering over 70 feet, the lower part depicts the carvings of the boy's rebirth off the mouth of the crocodile, Sundaramurthi Nayanar and Lord Ganapathy. In 1756, the king of Mysore endowed the temple with a hall supported by 30 pillars. This hall can be observed in front of the deepasthambam. The Rajagopuram or main tower here is built over 100 feet and is believed to be the highest in the whole of Kongunadu. It was initially built by Kongu Pandian. Later on the renovation was done by the king of Mysore. The present tower was constructed by Sundara Swamigal of Kumara mutt in 1980

There are a lot of holy trees located within the temple. The 'Pandhiri' tree where the deity of Amman is seated is considered holy. It was a mango tree previously. Apart from the trees, the temple was also known as 'Vilvavanam' as the temple was surrounded by Vilvam trees in the past.

This Shiva temple at Avinashi is spread over an area of 1.5 acres and is located on the banks of Nallar River. The main Rajagopuram is on the east side with 7 tiers. The first idol that one worships on entering the temple through the Rajagopuram is the Selva Vinayagar. On the ceiling above the carved image of Uchi pillayar can be seen. Anointment of this deity is believed to bring rains even during drought conditions. Inside the gopuram, the idols of saints Sundarar and Manickavasakar are seen on the left side. Inside there are two corridors. Once we enter, there is a mandapam and magnificent sculptures of Gods and Goddesses like the Veerabadhirar, Oorthava Thandavamurthy, Kali can be seen on the pillars of the mandapam.

From the mandapam, one can enter the sanctum sanctorum of Avinasiappar shrine. The Lord Avinashi Lingeswarar enshrined here is looked upon as the offshoot of the one in Kashi (Banaras). Thus Avinashi is called the Kashi of Kongunadu. The inner corridors on the four sides of the sanctum sancotrum are decorated with the images of Nayanmars, Murugan Sannadhi in the northwest and Karaiakal Ammaiar Sannadhi on the northeast.

The shrine of Goddess Karunambikai (consort of Avinashi Lingeswarar) is seen separately and is located on the right side of the presiding deity. It is located in the southern side of the temple corridor. The front mandapam of Goddess Karunambikai shrine has carvings of figures like the elegant and beautiful Kurathi or her more rugged male counterpart Kuravan, which arrest the attention of everybody entering this shrine. At the back of the shrine is carved a figure of scorpion, which is said to have the efficacy to cure a person, from even the bite of a venomous snake and sting of scorpions. The Kala Bhairava shrine of this temple has a special status.

The most important Festival of this temple is the annual Car Festival celebrated in the Tamil month of Chithirai (April-May). This Festival is one of the biggest events in this region, celebrated for 11 days. The Lord will be carried in different carriers in the first four days. The Car pulling is the Prime attraction of this festival and the grand function will be completed with the function of pouring turmeric water.

Avinashi Lingeswarar Temple Avinashi Legend

Sundaramurthi Nayanar was passing through the town of Avinashi on his way to meet Cheraman Peruman. While going along a street he observed two houses overlooking each other. He couldn't help but notice the contradictory auras emitting from both houses: one of joy and the other of sorrow. Enquiring about the event he came to know the reason behind the incongruity. Two boys, of the same age went for a swim in a river nearby. While they were having their bath a crocodile appeared all of a sudden out of nowhere and consumed one of them. The child who managed to survive was 8 years old and was going through his 'Upanayanam' (Sacred thread ceremony) on the specific day.

Hence one of the houses was in a joyous mood celebrating the boy's escape from the jaws of death. The other house which had lost a boy was mourning over his death and therefore was filled with sorrow. For the irony was that had the other boy been alive he too would be going through his 'Upanayanam'.

Sage Sundarar immediately went to the temple and demanded the Lord to direct the crocodile to give back the boy it swallowed three years ago when he was four. He prayed to Lord with a Pathigam (10 verses).

As he sang the fourth stanza begging the Lord to direct the crocodile to return the boy, to the joy of all around him, the crocodile brought back the boy with the growth he would have at the age of seven.

Sundarar took the boy to the parents and arranged his Upanayanam too. This is a great event related with this temple. During the Panguni Uthiram festival in March-April, Mudalai Vai Pillai – boy in the grip of the crocodile – Utsav is celebrated for three days.

Avinashi Lingeswarar Temple Avinashi History

The temple was constructed by the king of Kongu chola, The Pandyas, Hoysalas and the king of Mysore. The renovation process was done by Krishna Raja Udayar of Mysore in 1756. The temple went through a dry period of no recognition for the next 150 years until 1919, when an ‘Ashta Bandhana Maha Kumbabishekam’ was organized. In 1954 Ten Thevaram songs were inscribed into the marble stones by the Thirupanandal Kashi Mutt. Renovation of the temple was again carried out in 1959 by the department of the archaeological works. In 1970 the temple administration was transferred from the Archaeological department to the HR and CE department. In the same year, the 2.95 acres of land over which the temple was located was handed over to the government. Sundara Swamigal of Siravai Adhinam completed the main tower work and in 1980 a mahakumbahbishekam was organized. A fire accident led to the damage of the cars in 1990. A new car was built and came under use in 1993.

A five stage tower was constructed in the same year due to the efforts of Pollachi. Thiru.N.Mahalingam. A special shrine was built for Sundaramurthi Nayanar in 1996. Under the Tamilnadu Government’s Temple town development scheme, the east gate construction and other activities were carried out in 1999-2000.

Temple Structure

The east facing shrine of Avinashi Lingeswarar is located on the banks of Nallar River.
A Deepasthambam can be seen in front of the temple which is carved of single stone. The lower part of this 70 foot post bears the carvings of lord Ganapathy, Sundaramurthi Nayanar and the rebirth of a boy from the mouth of a crocodile. This Deepasthambam (Post) is a unique feature in all the ancient temples of Kongunadu.

A 30 pillar hall built by the King of Mysore, Udayar in the year 1756 is located in front of the Deepasthambam.

Main Tower

The Main Tower (Raja Gopuram) of this temple is nearly 100 feet height and one of the biggest towers in the Kongunadu.

This tower was first built during the period of Kongu Pandian Sundarapandian (1285 - 1300). Later it was reconstructed by the King of Mysore.
In the year 1860, the tower was damaged by the lightning and totally demolished by the district administration.

The present structure was constructed by Sundara Swamigal of Kumara mutt in the year 1980.

Holy Water

The holy water points located in this temple are
  • Kasi Gangai Theertham
  • Theppakulam
  • Nagakakannigai Theertham
  • Thirunallaru
  • Thamaraikulam
  • Iravathathurai

Holy Tree

The temple history reveals that the holy tree of this temple was a mango tree. Now the Amman deity is located under a Padhiri tree. This temple is also called as Vilvavanam as the premises was once surrounded by a large number of Vilvam trees

Halls

The 30 pillar hall located in front of the Theepasthumbam was constructed by king Udayar of Mysore, in the year 1756.

As we enter through the seven stage tower we can see the Navavanga hall. The deities present in this hall are Orthuvathandava Moorthy, Alankattu Kaliyammai, Veerabadhirar and those of who built this particular hall. This hall was raised by the efforts of Kavayapalayam China Kaliyappa Gounder and Periya Kaliyappa Gounder.

Thirukalyana hall (wedding hall) is located adjacent to the main shrine. The celestial wedding of the lord will be celebrated in this hall during the month of Chithrai. The newly built Vasantha hall can be found opposite to the wedding hall.

Artistic Features

Avinashi temple is a repository of fine carved architecture throughout its structure. The intricate carvings depicting various events in Hindu mythology can be seen, here. The original `Rajagopuram', was replaced by the present structure when it being came dilapidated. In the front of the temple is seen the flag-staff (Dhwajasthambha), which contains carvings depicting the legend of saint Sundaramurthi Nayanar, retrieving the boy from the mouth of a crocodile.

This temple also has the unique feature of having an individual shrine for Saint Sundaramurthi Nayanar, who was an ardent disciple of Lord Shiva.

The Pandiya King, Sundara Pandiyan (1285-1300), constructed this temple, which was later expanded by other monarchs, belonging to different dynasties.

The first idol that one worships on entering the temple through the Rajagopuram is the Selva Vinayagar. On the ceiling above is carved the `Uchi pillayar' Anointment of this deity is believed to bring rains even during drought conditions.

Inside the gopuram (tower) on the left side you can see the idols of saints Sundarar and Manickavasakar. Carvings of other celestial forms like that of the dwarf like` Bhoothaganas' and others can also be seen here.

The front portal is called the `Navagraha Mandapam' which houses the magnificent sculptures of Gods and Goddesses like the `Alangattu Kali' and Urdhava Thandava Murthy. Each of these idols is 6' in height. These two idols depict one of the most dramatic episodes of Hindu Mythology.

According to Hindu mythology, Lord Shiva entered into a dancing combat with Goddess Shakthi. A fierce competition took place and the Lord finally triumphed, when he lifted his leg high above his shoulder. This was a stance that Shakthi could not perform due to modesty and was defeated. Hence, these idols that depict this celestial performance show the 16 handed Urdhavamurthy, with a triumphant look on his face, with sparkling eyes.

Whereas, Alangattu Kali, the incarnation of Shakthi, has eyes downcast due to defeat. But, mixed emotions of both fury and humiliation have been brought out in the face of this idol which is considered a masterpiece of sculptor and an excellent example for ancient sculptures.

Deities

Lingeswarar

The Lord Avinashi Lingeswarar is the chief deity of this temple. It is believed to be a replica of the Kashi (Banaras) Lingeswarar. Hence Avinashi has come to be known as the ‘Kashi of Kongunadu’.

Karunambikai Amman

The deity of Karunambikai Amman seated to the right of the Lingeswarar is one of the distinctive traits of this temple. The sanctum sanctorum of Karunambikai Amman, located to the south of the temple is very rare and unique in the temples of Tamilnadu.

Kalabairavar

The specialty of the Kalabairavar shrine located in this temple is artistically designed and it has Sahasranaamams like Vishnu Sahasranaamams and lalitha Sahasranaamam. The other deities of this temple are Vinayakar, Durgai, Gajalakshmi, ‘Arupathu Moovar’ denoting the sixty three Nayanars, Nadaraajar, ‘Navagrahangal’ denoting the nine planets, ‘Panjabootha thirumeniyar’ representing the 5 elements earth, water, fire, air and akash (sky) and of course the deity of Sundaramurthi Nayanar.

Others Deities

Other deities in this temple as follows
  • Vinayagar
  • Thandayuthapani
  • Arupathu Moovar (63 Nayanar)
  • Panja Bhootha Thirumeniyar (Five Elements)
  • Gaja Lakshmi
  • Durgai
  • Chandhikeshwar
  • Sundara Moorthy Nayanar
  • Nadaraajar
  • Navagraham

Avinashi Lingeswarar Temple Avinashi Pooja Timings

Temple opening Time

5:00 am

Usha Kalam Pooja

5.30 – 6.00 am

Kaala Sandhi Pooja

8.00 – 8.30 am

Uchi kala Pooja

12.00 – 12.30 pm

Saya rakshai Pooja

5.30 – 6.00 pm

Artha Saman Pooja

7.30 – 8.00 pm

Temple Closing Time

8:00 pm


Avinashi Lingeswarar Temple Avinashi Festivals

Car Festival

This is the most important festival in the temple’s itinerary. The car festival celebrated during the ‘Brahmotsavam’ of Chithirai Maasam. The relevant English months are April-May. The temple car here is the second biggest in the whole of south India. In the past the temple car was pulled by devotees. The temple cars were damaged by fire. They were later newly built. Nowadays bulldozers are employed to move the car.

Arubathi Moovar Ula

Apart from the car festival, another important occasion, which is celebrated with a lot of pomp, is the ‘Arubathimoovar ula’. It is about the 63 ardent devotees of Lord Shiva as depicted in Periyapuranam.

Annadhanam

Daily noon meals provided for around 100 people per day under the Tamilnadu Chief Minister's free noon meals Scheme.

Devotees may sponsor for the free noon meal Scheme. This amount will be invested in a fixed deposit and the interest earned will be utilized to feed 100 people on a desired day, year after year.
All donations for the scheme are exempted from income tax under the IT act 80(G).

How to Reach Avinashi Lingeswarar Temple Avinashi?

This Shivasthalam is situated 40 Kms from Coimbatore and about 14 Kms. from Tirupur. The nearest railway station is at Tirupur. Another Paadal Petra Sthalam Thirumurganpoondi is about 5 Kms. from here.

Avinashi Lingeswarar Temple Avinashi Address

Executive Officer
Arulmigu Avinashi Lingeswarar Temple
Avinashi - 641 654
Tirupur District.
Phone Number:
04296 - 273113.

Post a Comment

0 Comments